
Quizlet http://quizlet.com/ is an online app that allows users to generate their own flashcards or search for flash cards generated by other users. When you create your flash cards you type in the term and then it gives you the option of auto generating definitions or adding images. You can form your own group or join other groups, notify other users via email, facebook or myspace page. The flash cards proceed through 3 steps, Familiarize, Learn and Test, or you can choose to play games including scatter, space race, voice scatter or voice race. There is a space on the page for discussions and the site is free with the option of a $10.00 upgrade that allows ad free access for a year. The ads are discreet and do not diminish the site to any great degree. The site is easy to use and fun. I wish I had access to this site when I was teaching resource English it would have made my life a lot easier. This would be a great way for students to generate their own flash cards for vocabulary tests in all subject areas or as a way to study math formulas. This is a great way for students to study at their own pace and it can be accessed at any time. This is an excellent example of a web 2.0 site that is simple elegant and effective. A fun side note is that the founder of the site looks like he is about 18. Great things are in store as more and more people discover the power and ease of use of the web for learning and teaching.

I wish I had access to this site when I was taking biology and other high level science courses that required a lot of memorization. I had to rely on the old fashion 3x5 index cards.
ReplyDeleteI think the games are great on this site as well. Helps in the memorization process.